The spices you eat daily don't just add flavour to your food - they serve a healthier purpose. You will be amazed at the health benefits that spices possess.
- Most herbs and spices help protect against chronic conditions like cancer, diabetes and even heart disease.
- Herbs like basil, parsley, oregano and thyme and spices like cinnamon, chilli peppers, turmeric, garlic boost health levels.
- Fenugreek (methi): The Fenugreek herb has been known to help reduce fever when taken with lemon and honey, since it nourishes the body during an illness.
- Turmeric (haldi): Turmeric is one of nature’s most powerful healers. Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch): Black pepper is a spice that has the potential to make food more beneficial when used in various recipes.It has good anti bacterial properties and that too, without side effects. It is very effective in curing bacterial infections in mouth, colon, digestive system, urinary tract etc.
- Cardamom (elaichi): Cardamom is the “queen of spices”, it is one of the most valued spices in the world. Cardamom isn’t just healthy, it’s tasty, too.
Ground cardamom seed mixed with ginger (adrak), cloves (laung) and coriander (dhania), is an effective remedy for indigestion.
- Cumin (jeera): The seeds themselves are rich in iron and are thought to help stimulate the secretion of enzymes from the pancreas which can help absorb nutrients into the system. It has also been shown to boost the power of the liver’s ability to detoxify the human body.
Researchers say that using seasonings in your food also plays a positive role in controlling your weight.Active compounds found in herbs and spices degrade with time . Store them in airtight containers that shield them from heat, moisture and sunlight.