- The star anise is botanically known as Illicium Verum. It is dark brown in colour with eight segments.It has a sweetish licorice taste.Besides the culinary uses, star anise also has health benefits.
- In traditional Chinese medicine, star anise is prescribed as a digestive aid, promoting health of female reproductive organs and for lactating mothers to increase breast-milk secretion.
- The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of star anise is useful in the treatment of asthma, bronchitis and dry cough. For this reason some cough mixtures contain star anise extract.
- Star anise can also be used for its sedating properties to ensure good sleep.
- The oil of star anise is useful in providing relief from rheumatism and lower back pain.
- Star anise also can be used as a natural breath freshener.
- Shikimic acid, a compound present in star anise is used for preparing drug for curing influenza or the flue virus.
- Linalool, a compound present in star anise contains anti-oxidant properties that are very good for one's overall health.
Image source : Gardenseeker.com
Information source : Bombay Times