Monday, November 7, 2011
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
The Big Banyan Tree of Adyar ( Chennai - India)
It measures 238 ft. from North to South and 250 ft. from East to West. The total area exceed 59,500-sq.ft. This tree is a unique specimen.
This is believed to be the largest Banyan tree in the world. Some say that the largest one is in Kolkata (Calcutta-India).
About 10 years ago, a devastating cyclone uprooted this tree. To bring back the tree to its original position, huge cranes were brought to the scene. A vast pit was dug and the tree was kept back in its position. But all these efforts went in vain. The aerial roots of this tree have become well rooted and the entire tree appears like a bunch of several trees.
Information Source: Tamilnadu Guide
Thursday, September 8, 2011
The statue of Nossa Senhora was supposed to be found by the fishermen.The image has a dark brown color, as it was sculpted in clay (resulting in many of its replicas being painted black) and it is covered by a stiff dark blue robe of richly embroidered thick cloth with golden clasps, and wears an imperial crown which was added in 1904. Only her face and hands can be seen.
( Information Source : Wikipedia)
Sunday, July 17, 2011
Studies have shown that music tends to have a profound effect on the body. Thus, music therapy is a form of healing where music is used to enhance one's physical, emotional and mental health.
- Music therapy is beneficial in treating depression. Research has shown that people who suffered from depression and received music therapy showed a decrease in depressive symptoms as to those who did not indulge in music therapy.
- Pregnant women can benefit from music therapy as it has the power to ease their stress and reduce anxiety levels.
- Research has shown that cancer patients tend to cope better with their illness.
- Children suffering from learning and development problems can benefit from music therapy as it helps to stimulate learning and their creative abilities. It helps in controlling aggression and helps them to sleep better.
- Music has the ability to lower blood pressure, slower the heart rate, reducing muscle tension and improvement in breathing.
Sunday, July 10, 2011
- Identify your skin tones. you should determine your skin tone before going foundation shopping.
- Don't try to change the colour of your face by opting for a foundation that does not match your skin tone at all.
- Look for a foundation that will sit well on your skin. For example, if you have oily skin then look for foundations that have words like OIL-FREE , OIL-CONTROL or MATTIFYING on the labels.If you have a dry skin , then look for words like HYDRATING and MOISTURE-FREE and MOISTURE-RICH.
- Go to the makeup counter with a clean face. If you go with an 'already loaded with makeup face', it will be impossible to determine whether a foundation goes well with your complexion or not.
- Try at least three shades of foundation closest to your original skin tone.
Saturday, July 2, 2011
1. If you drop a whole egg on the floor, pour salt all over the egg, let it sit for awhile, then use dustpan, the egg will come right up, without all that mess.
2. Soak stained hankies in salt water before washing.
3. Sprinkle salt on your shelves to keep ants away.
4. Soak fish in salt water before descaling; the scales will come off easier.
5. Put a few grains of rice in your saltshaker for easier pouring.
6. Test the freshness of eggs in a cup of salt water; fresh eggs sink;bad ones float.
7. Add a little salt to your boiling water when cooking eggs; a cracked egg will stay in its shell this way.
8. A tiny pinch of salt with egg whites makes them beat up fluffier.
9. Soak wrinkled apples in a mildly salted water solution to perk them up.
10. Rub salt on your pancake griddle and your flapjacks won't stick.
11. Soak toothbrushes in salt water before you first use them; they will last longer.
12. Use salt to clean your discolored coffee pot.
13. Mix salt with turpentine to whiten you bathtub and toilet bowl.
Sunday, April 24, 2011
- The muskmelon or cantaloupe is a perfect summer fruit. It's high water content can help take care of the fluid loss that our bodies go through due to perspiration in this season. It also helps to combat the heat in the body and thus, prevents heat-related problems during summer.
- This fruit is good for people who want to lose weight because it isn't high in calories or sugar, and can work as a great snack for those in-between-mealtimes when hunger tugs you towards unhealthy food items.
- The fruit is high in dietary fibre and helps people suffering from constipation. This fruit is great for menstruating women as it helps reduce heavy flow and clots.If you are looking for a healthy and younger skin, this is what you should include in your daily diet.Source:
Source : Bombay times
Image source : Photobucket
Sunday, April 10, 2011
What is HAPPINESS ? Ever given it a thought ?
Many of us say: if I had this or If I had that .........I would be a happy person.
Is it only the material things like buying clothes, Jewellery etc. etc. that can make a person happy.
We cannot buy happiness. These things can only give a short-term happiness. The inner happiness comes when one realises and recognizes all the good things we are blessed with and be grateful instead of craving for external objects. Only when you have satisfaction with your life you can achieve this. It requires some effort.We are as happy as we make our minds to be.
Here is my HAPPINESS list:
Helping the needy.
Pursuing a hobby.
Cozy meal with spouse.
Listening to music.
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Every single evening
As I'm lying here in bed,
This tiny little Prayer
Keeps running through my head:
God bless all my family
Wherever they may be,
Keep them warm
And safe from harm
For they're so close to me.
And God, there is one more thing
I wish that you could do;
Hope you don't mind me asking,
Please bless my computer too.
Now I know that it's unusual
To Bless a motherboard,
But listen just a second
While I explain it to you, Lord.
You see, that little metal box
Holds more than odds and ends;
Inside those small compartments
Rest so many of my friends.
I know so much about them
By the kindness that they give,
And this little scrap of metal
Takes me in to where they live.
By faith is how I know them
Much the same as you.
We share in what life brings us
And from that our friendships grew.
Please take an extra minute
From your duties up above,
To bless those in my address book
That's filled with so much love.
Wherever else this prayer may reach
To each and every friend,
Bless each e-mail inbox
And each person who hits 'send'.
When you update your Heavenly list
On your own Great CD-ROM,
Bless everyone who says this prayer
Sent up to GOD.Com
I loved this mail forward and sharing with all of you...hope you'll like it too.
Saturday, March 5, 2011
- Oil your hair once in a week. Start at the roots and then gently to the ends of your hair strands.
- Post shampooing, use a conditioner to smoothen the hair. Avoid using conditioner to the roots.
- Never use a brush on wet hair. They tend to break easily.
- Protect your hair from the sun by wearing caps, scarves or hats.
Friday, March 4, 2011
The spices you eat daily don't just add flavour to your food - they serve a healthier purpose. You will be amazed at the health benefits that spices possess.
- Most herbs and spices help protect against chronic conditions like cancer, diabetes and even heart disease.
- Herbs like basil, parsley, oregano and thyme and spices like cinnamon, chilli peppers, turmeric, garlic boost health levels.
- Fenugreek (methi): The Fenugreek herb has been known to help reduce fever when taken with lemon and honey, since it nourishes the body during an illness.
- Turmeric (haldi): Turmeric is one of nature’s most powerful healers. Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch): Black pepper is a spice that has the potential to make food more beneficial when used in various recipes.It has good anti bacterial properties and that too, without side effects. It is very effective in curing bacterial infections in mouth, colon, digestive system, urinary tract etc.
- Cardamom (elaichi): Cardamom is the “queen of spices”, it is one of the most valued spices in the world. Cardamom isn’t just healthy, it’s tasty, too.
Ground cardamom seed mixed with ginger (adrak), cloves (laung) and coriander (dhania), is an effective remedy for indigestion.
- Cumin (jeera): The seeds themselves are rich in iron and are thought to help stimulate the secretion of enzymes from the pancreas which can help absorb nutrients into the system. It has also been shown to boost the power of the liver’s ability to detoxify the human body.
Researchers say that using seasonings in your food also plays a positive role in controlling your weight.Active compounds found in herbs and spices degrade with time . Store them in airtight containers that shield them from heat, moisture and sunlight.
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
- Coconut water is known to help in regulating the body's temperature and keeping it cool...hence an excellent drink in summer.
- It is known to be a healthy electrolyte liquid as it contains no cholesterol. It is low in calories and fat, and a good balance of potassium, calcium and sodium. It re hydrates the body well when consumed.
- It reduces urinary problems.
- It also contains lauric acid which is beneficial in treating digestive and intestinal problems.
- People who suffer from kidney stones are advised to drink coconut water as it helps in breaking down of the kidney stones and help to flush them out.
- It is also beneficial when one is suffering from malaria, typhoid fevers and vomiting. Coconut water supplies the body with essential nutrients.
- Coconut water is good for controlling diabetes.
- It is also a great way to detox one's body.
- Coconut water is said to be a good hangover remedy.
Sunday, February 27, 2011
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
- SANDALWOOD POWDER
- LEMON JUICE, WHEAT FLOUR, TURMERIC POWDER
- MULTANI MITTI
Information Source ... Bombay Times
Image ........... Photobucket
Saturday, February 19, 2011
- Thyme is a herb used for culinary purposes as well as for medicinal properties.
Here is a list of the health and medicinal benefits of thyme.
- Thymol, the oil present in thyme leavesis used in mouthwashes to act as a breath freshener.
- The anti-bacterial properties make it an effectiveremedy against mucous membranes present in the stomach and lungs.
- The antiseptic properties make it an useful remedy for insect bites, burns and wounds.
- A good remedy for bronchitis, cough and cold is to have fresh thyme leaves along with a teaspoon of honey, two to three times a day.
- Thyme aids digestion and is especially useful after eating red meat.
- Women who wish to seek relief fromtheir painful menstrual cycles should eat fresh thyme leaves because they contain anti-spasmodic properties.
- Thyme oil is known to provide a soothing effect on the senses, alleviate mood, physical exhaustion and reduce insomnia by fostering good sleep.
Image ........... photobucket
Sunday, February 13, 2011
We all think eating fruits means just buying fruits, cutting it and just popping it into our mouths. It's not as easy as you think. It's important to know how and when to eat.
What is the correct way of eating fruits?
IT MEANS NOT EATING FRUITS AFTER YOUR MEALS! * FRUITS SHOULD BE EATEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.
If you eat fruit like that, it will play a major role to detoxify your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities.
FRUIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOD. Let's say you eat two slices of bread and then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it is prevented from doing so. In the meantime the whole meal rots and ferments and turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil....
So please eat your fruits on an empty stomach or before your meals! You have heard people complaining, "Every time I eat watermelon I burp; when I eat during, my stomach bloats up; when I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet, etc Actually all this will not arise if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. The fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas and hence you will bloat!
Graying hair, balding, nervous outburst, and dark circles under the eyes all these will NOT happen if you take fruits on an empty stomach.
There is no such thing as some fruits, like orange and lemon are acidic, because all fruits become alkaline in our body, according to Dr. Herbert Shelton who did research on this matter. If you have mastered the correct way of eating fruits, you have the Secret of beauty, longevity, health, energy, happiness and normal weight.
When you need to drink fruit juice - drink only fresh fruit juice, NOT from the cans. Don't even drink juice that has been heated up. Don't eat cooked fruits because you don't get the nutrients at all. You only get to taste. Cooking destroys all the vitamins.
But eating a whole fruit is better than drinking the juice. If you should drink the juice, drink it mouthful by mouthful slowly, because you must let it mix with your saliva before swallowing it. You can go on a 3-day fruit fast to cleanse your body. Just eat fruits and drink fruit juice throughout the 3 days and you will be surprised when your friends tell you how radiant you look!
KIWI: Tiny but mighty. This is a good source of potassium, magnesium, vitamin E & fiber. Its vitamin C content is twice that of an orange.
APPLE: An apple a day keeps the doctor away? Although an apple has a low vitamin C content, it has antioxidants & flavonoids which enhances the activity of vitamin C thereby helping to lower the risks of colon cancer, heart attack & stroke.
STRAWBERRY: Protective Fruit.. Strawberries have the highest total antioxidant power among major fruits & protect the body from cancer-causing, blood vessel-clogging free radicals.
ORANGE : Sweetest medicine. Taking 2-4 oranges a day may help keep colds away, lower cholesterol, prevent & dissolve kidney stones as well as lessens the risk of colon cancer.
WATERMELON: Coolest thirst quencher. Composed of 92% water, it is also packed with a giant dose of glutathione, which helps boost our immune system. They are also a key source of lycopene the cancer fighting oxidant. Other nutrients found in watermelon are vitamin C & Potassium.
GUAVA & PAPAYA: Top awards for vitamin C. They are the clear winners for their high vitamin C content.. Guava is also rich in fiber, which helps prevent constipation. Papaya is rich in carotene; this is good for your eyes.
Image source ... photobucket.