Monday, December 27, 2010
Earth, Water, Air, Fire and space.
"Feng" means "wind" and "shui" means "water" . In Chinese culture gentle wind and clear water have always been associated with good harvest and good health, thus "Feng Shui" came to mean good livelihood and fortune. It is one of the most ancient Chinese Arts of placement that balances the natural forces of the universe to help Chi (positive energy) flow in the best possible way.
These days lot of people are building house as per the principles of Vaastu and designing interiors as per feng shui as they feel it best way to get the all round benefit. Here are some of the tips by the famous vaastu consultant Shelly Gupta. Source: Bombay Times.
Saturday, December 25, 2010
And I just cannot describe in words, the beauty of this country.
The people here are amazing...with love and warmth filled in their hearts. In spite of the language problem, we never felt like foreigners here. They go out of the way to help foreigners. This is a mixed race...in a family you can see some people with African features, some having Chinese looks, Lebanese, Japanese and so on. This is because in the late fifties...Brazilian government invited immigrants to come and settle down here.... and over a period of time, every nationality mingled and married into each other's communities. Some Indian Scientists had come to settle down here but there are not many Indians here on the whole.....probably because of the language.
Since the last 8-10 years, there has been awareness of English here and now most of the Brazilians are learning the language. Another amazing thing is their love for art and culture...specially Indian art. There are schools where Indian dances like Kuchipudi, Bharatanatyam, Manipuri are taught by the Brazilians, who have been learning these dances in India since their childhood. They feel that they were Indians in their previous birth and they all have Indian names. We also have many yoga centers. It feels really nice to see your country and its culture being appreciated and loved elsewhere, especially on the other side of the globe. After the recent visits of Indian President and the Prime Minister, Indo-Brazilian trade opportunities are opening up. Lot of IT and Pharma companies are investing here, bringing more Indian families to this beautiful country.
Friday, December 17, 2010
as fast as the regular ones, and Santa began to feel the Pre-Christmas
pressure. Then Mrs. Claus told Santa her Mother was coming to visit, which stressed Santa even more. When he went to harness the reindeer, he found that three of them were about to give birth and two others had jumped the fence and were out, Heaven knows where. Then when he began to load the sleigh, one of the floorboards cracked, the toy bag fell to the ground and all the toys were scattered. Frustrated, Santa went in the house for a cup of apple cider and a shot of rum. When he went to the cupboard, he discovered the elves had drunk all the cider and hidden the liquor.. In his frustration, he accidentally dropped
the cider jug, and it broke into hundreds of little glass pieces all over the kitchen floor. He went to get the broom and found the mice had eaten all the straw off the end of the broom. Just then the doorbell rang, and an irritated Santa marched to the door, yanked it open, and there stood a little angel with a great big Christmas tree. The angel said very cheerfully, 'Merry Christmas, Santa. Isn't this a lovely day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Where would you like me to stick it?'
And so began the tradition of the little angel on top of the Christmas tree.
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
As Corita Kent has beautifully said:
"Life is a succession of moments.
To live each one is to succeed "
One had a dutiful wife, who would do all her chores, thinking it as her duty and he thanked God for giving him such a wonderful wife.
The other one had a wife just the opposite. She was nagging and cribbing about work all the time, and demanded her husband's help to do it.
But in his prayers, the husband too thanked God for giving him a wonderful wife.
His perspective was that this behaviour of hers also had a hidden advantage.
Unknowingly, she was in a way, by making him do all the work, helping him be fit and independent.
So now it is left to us how we decide how to take things in life and accept them. Though at every stage of our life we do have to make adjustments with everyone, we will be happy only when we learn to accept things as they are.
Life is a package of surprises....open it and accept it.
It is God`s gift to you.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
While keeping the rest of the house clean and tidy, the kitchen is one such area that requires more time and care.
- Use separate areas of the kitchen for different activities. Vegetables and meats should be cut and cleaned at a slight distance from the stove.
- Keep different knives for different activities. A meat knife and a vegetable one should be different.
- Always wipe up the spilt milk or gravies immediately. They can stick to the burner or kitchen platform and attract bacteria. It is best to take a sponge and clean it before it dries up.
- Ensure your spoons and spatulas are freshly washed. Do not use something that has been lying in a cabinet for a while attracting dust.
- Always soak the dishes before washing so that the dirt becomes easier to scrub off.
- Kitchen towels and napkins should be washed everyday.
Thursday, December 9, 2010
Images : Photobucket
It is a well known fact that almonds are a great source of multiple nutrients like vitamin E, Fiber, Copper, magnesium, Phosphorous and Riboflavin.They are also known to protect against diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. It is amazing to know just how much goodness is packed in a handful of these nuts.
It is an ideal combination of taste and nutrition that blends well with the Indian cuisine and palate.
- You can have them the way you like them, plain, salted, sweet, roasted, spicy and tangy.
- Blanched and chopped almonds can be used to garnish the desserts.
- Almond paste can be added to various curries making them rich, nutritious and flavourful.
- Make nut crumbs by coarsely grinding almonds in a food processor, and use them as a topping on grain dishes and pasta.
Use your creativity with almonds and turn every meal into a delicious affair.
Source: Bombay Times (The Times of India)
Monday, December 6, 2010
Sunday, December 5, 2010
Use toothpaste to repair scratched CDs and DVDs
Believe it or not, this simple dental hygiene product can work wonders for small scratches.
Here is what you have to do:
- Squirt a circle just on the outside of the inner circle. Use your index finger to spread the toothpaste.
- Lay the CD/DVD on a flat surface, and using your clean fingers gently rub the toothpaste in small circular motions
- Leave the toothpaste on for about 5 minutes
- Wash off the toothpaste with cool tap water. Make sure you get all the toothpaste off.
- Dry off the CD/DVD with a paper towel because some clothes are not always clean and can cause further damage.
(Please make a backup copy of your disc when you are trying out the first time)
Source: The Times of India
Lot of people suffer from the problem of blackheads and how eager they are to know how to get rid of them.Thankfully there are solutions.In extreme cases it is better to invest a little money in a treatment from a specialist.
There are lots of cosmetic scrubs available in the market.One needs to gently massage the blackhead prone areas, wash and pat dry. You could also try some home remedies.
- Apply a paste of green apple extracts on the affected area and gently exfoliate with gram powder.
- Prepare a paste of cinnamon and lime juice and apply on your face.
- Prepare a paste of turmeric powder and coriander leaves and apply on your face
- Take the pulp of grapes and apply on the blackhead affected area.Leave it for 15-20 minutes and wash your face with warm water.
- Apply cucumber paste and let it dry. Wash your face with cold water.
Source: The Times of India
Image source: Photobucket
Saturday, December 4, 2010
Did you know that foods which are high in Omega 3 fatty acids can make your skin glow with good health.
Foods rich in Omega 3 acids:
Vegetarians can opt for:
The easiest way is to add these food items to your salad bowl couple of times in a week.
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
We could learn a lot from crayons...
Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull.
Some have weird names,
and all are of different colors,
but they all have to live in the same box.
A single colour just looks like any colour
But when seen together..so colourful !
Can we not take this as an example in our lives too.
Learn to adjust and adapt and live together rather than being a loner.
Make your life beautiful and colourful !